INTRO: After the boom of video conferencing thanks to the Coronavirus pandemic, The Mountain View-based software giant integrated its video calling service, Google Meet with Gmail on the online also in the iOS and Android apps. However, if you’re not a Google Meet user, then the dedicated tabs for the service on online and within the apps become useless. So, here’s the way to disable it on every platform.
How to Disable Google Meet in Gmail App (Android and iOS)
Now, the “Meet” tab on the Gmail app is far more prominent because it sits at rock bottom with a fanatical section. However, if you’re a Zoom-er rather than a “Meet” user, then this tab is actually a waste of space for the apps. So, here is the way to disable it on iOS and Android apps.
- Launch the Gmail app on your iOS or Android device.
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top-left corner.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap “Settings” to open it.
- Choose your preferred profile, if you have multiple profiles registered.
- Here, under the “General” section you’ll find a switch for “Meet” with the description title, “Show the Meet tab for video calling”.
- Toggle the switch to turn it off and boom! You’re done.
- Repeat the previous two steps for your other profiles.
So now, once you open the Gmail app on your device, the “Meet” tab won’t be there anymore.
How to Disable Google Meet in Gmail on the online
Now, unlike within the apps, the “Meet” tab is far less prominent on the online platform. However, if you’re not going to use it, then what’s the point of keeping it? So, follow the steps below to disable it on the online .
- Open your Gmail account using any web browser.
- Click the gear icon at the top-right to open the “Quick Settings” menu.
- Click “See all Settings” under the “Quick Settings” menu.
- Open the “Chat and Meet” tab from the list of tabs at the top bar of the “Settings” menu.
- From here, you can choose the option “Hide the Meet section in the main menu” to disable “Meet” on the web platform of Gmail.
- Click “Save Changes” to save your preference.
So, if you get annoyed with the “Meet” tab on the web and especially in the apps, then follow the above steps to remove it from your sight.