Samsung creates its own UI on top of the Android and provides their self designed basic applications such as Messaging, browser, settings, etc. The IP Multimedia Subsystem is an architectural framework for delivering multimedia services to consumers. Quite recently, a lot of reports have been coming in of users who are experiencing the “IMS Service Has Stopped” message on their screens sometimes randomly and sometimes while trying to call or message someone. In this article, we will tell you what you can do if your IMS has stopped working.
What Causes the “IMS Service Has Stopped” Error Message?
After receiving numerous reports from multiple users we decided to investigate the matter and devised a set of solutions that were tested to solve the problem with most users. Also, we looked into the reasons due to which this can be triggered and listed them below:
All applications store cache in order to decrease loading times. The cache decreases the time it takes to load a certain application by saving temporary files on the partition. However, over time this cache can be corrupted. This corrupted cache can cause issues with certain Android applications especially with the messaging app and prevent it from working properly. When the application doesn’t work properly it displays the IMS service has stopped error.
Default Messaging App:
Depending on the region where you live and the Network provider that you use there are certain configuration files that the Network providers apply before providing the internet, calling, and messaging facilities. It is possible that these configuration settings are interfering with certain elements of the default applications and preventing them from working properly if IMS Service Has Stopped.
In some cases, outdated applications might not work properly with the updated version of Android. Also, it is possible that there were any bugs in the applications and they got fixed by the developers in the updates and were not fixed on the outdated application.
Outdated Android Software:
It is possible that the Android software or the Manufacturer’s UI on top of the operating system experienced some bug which was fixed in an update, therefore, if you have not updated your Android to the latest version you might experience this error.
Third-Party Messaging Applications If IMS Service Has Stopped:
Sometimes, third-party applications can overtake the default messaging application and cause issues with the messaging service. If the default messaging service is blocked or disabled this message is displayed.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the nature of the issue we will move on towards the solutions. In order to avoid any conflicts, it is recommended that you follow the steps accurately and in the specific order in which they are provided.
Solution 1: Checking for Software Updates IMS Service Has Stopped
It is possible that the Android software or the Manufacturer’s UI on top of the operating system experienced some bug which was fixed in an update. Therefore, in this step, we will be checking for any software updates to the mobile. For that:
- Unlock the phone and open the settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on “About Phone“.
- Click on the “Software Updates” and select the “Check for Updates” option.
- If a new software update is available, click on the “Download Now” option that appears after the checking process has finished.
- After the phone finishes downloading the update, it will prompt you to confirm the installation of the update select “Yes” and the phone will now be restarted.
- The update will be installed and the phone will launch back into the normal mode, check to see if the issue still persists of IMS Service Has Stopped.
Solution 2: Checking for Application Updates
Sometimes, if certain applications are outdated they can cause conflicts with the operating system and sometimes even with other applications. Therefore, in this step, we will be checking the Google Play Store for new updates to the applications. For that:
- Unlock the phone and open the Google Play Store application.
- Click on the menu button on the top left corner and select the “My Apps & Games” option.
- Tap on the “Updates” tab and select the “Refresh” icon.
- Click on the “Update All” option and wait for the applications to be updated and installed.
- Check to see if the issue persists.
This method will help you to get rid of this problem and your IMS service will start working again without any issues.