INTRO: Following the ban on PUBG Mobile, the game’s publisher, Tencent Games, says it wants to work with the Indian government to revoke the selection. during a statement on Thursday, the Chinese tech giant said that it takes data privacy of its users very seriously, and is engaging with Indian authorities to form sure the continued availability of its apps and services within the country.
The developments come two days after the Indian government banned 118 apps and games, mostly from Chinese companies, citing national security concerns. during a politician statement declaring the ban, the govt. claimed that the apps are “prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, Defence of India, Security of State and Public Order”. a number of the other major games also banned alongside PUBG Mobile include, ‘Rise of Kingdoms’, ‘Art of Conquest’, ‘Arena of Valor’, and more.
Overturning the PUBG Mobile ban in India is of paramount importance to Tencent, which has lost $34 billion in market cap within the 2 days since the Indian government announced its decision. consistent with Business Insider, this is often the second biggest dip in Tencent’s valuation since the corporate lost $66 billion last month after the US president, Donald Trump, banned WeChat.
Meanwhile, the newest directive is a component of the Modi government’s continued crackdown on Chinese apps and services following deadly skirmishes between Indian and Chinese troops over disputed territory in Ladakh earlier this year. Having banned a minimum of 59 apps and games, including TikTok, back in July, the govt. issued a uniform directive against the Chinese program, Baidu, and the micro-blogging site, Weibo, last month. it’ll be interesting to determine if the govt. is going to ban any more apps going forward.