There are situations when antivirus software will not recognize and allow installing certain types of programs or applications. Or antivirus tends to block your favorite websites sometimes. So, the solution is to either delete the antivirus completely and become vulnerable to different kinds of threats or disable the software for a short time. We will discuss how to turn off Avast quickly.
If you are using one of the Avast products, you may opt to turn off the whole Avast antivirus or stop certain shields. Our step-by-step guide will help you to go through each process quickly.
How to Turn Off The Antivirus Completely?
If you decide to completely turn off the antivirus be aware that you will turn off the whole antivirus protection on your machine. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Go to the Windows taskbar and search for the orange Avast icon. Then, right-click on it and find “Avast shields control.” Choose one of the options – disable for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently.
- Step 2. Confirm your choice by tapping YES when Avast asks you. Done! Avast antivirus and all the shields should be paused for the period you have chosen.
- Step 3. To check whether the antivirus is really disabled, just open its main window. If it is red and says “All antivirus shields are off” then everything worked as it should. To return the function, click on the button “Resolve” and wait for a second to see the message “You’re protected.”
How to Disable The Shields?
Sometimes turning off some of Avast shields should be enough to be able to download the required app or unblock a particular website. Here is what you have to do to use this option.
- Step 1. From the Avast user interface, go to “Protection” and then “Core Shields”. Or in the bottom left corner of the Avast interface find “Settings” and then go to “Components” (can be “Active Protection” if you are using an older version). You will see the list of all Avast shields. Find the ones you want to turn off and click on the switcher. You will have four options – pause the shield for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently. Make your choice.
- Step 2. If the shield was successfully turned off, you will see the switch change to “OFF” and the message “File Shield is now off”. To get it back, tap the button “Turn on” and wait for a second until it turns green and you see the message “You’re protected”.
Uninstalling The Antivirus
- Step 1: Open Avast program on your PC, find the Menu button at the user interface and click it. Then go to Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Step 2: In the Settings window, select the General tab and then Troubleshooting tab from the sub-menu. Turn Self-Defense mode off by deselecting the checkbox.
- Step 3: When a warning message appears about the attempt to disable the Avast self-defense module. Go ahead and click OK. Close Avast antivirus.
- Step 4: Navigate to the Control Panel (Start – Settings – type Control Panel). Choose Programs, then go to Programs and features.
- Step 5: In the Programs and Features window, find and select Avast application. After that the Uninstall option appears, you should choose it to begin the uninstall process.
- Step 6: The configuration screen will offer to confirm the action, press it. The process begins and might take several minutes, as it should delete all of the Avast files distributed throughout the system.
- Step 7: As the process completes, the Avast Setup will ask to restart the computer.
Hopefully, this post has helped you to disable Avast antivirus from your PC. You can either disable it or you can uninstall it. Both the methods are, mentioned in this post.